Whether you want it dipped, seasoned, rolled or simply as is, there’s no doubt that soft pretzels are a delicious treat that everybody loves! This month, you have all the right reasons to enjoy this tasty snack with the whole family. Why? Because it’s National Soft Pretzel Month!
Pretzels were invented a very long time ago. Dating back to 610 AD, pretzels were given to children by an Italian monk as a reward for learning their prayers. It was only in the 1800s that soft pretzels with various shapes were introduced by Swiss and Southern German immigrants to the US.
Because we have the whole month to celebrate, here are some delicious recipes you can try to celebrate National Soft Pretzel Month.
Buttery Soft Pretzels
While there’s nothing wrong with store-bought pretzels, there’s really something about homemade recipes. By creating your own, you have a free hand to make your soft pretzels taste however you want. This Buttery Soft Pretzels are the sweeter variety. They are perfect when coated with sugar and cinnamon or even when served plain.
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsps active dry yeast
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 4 cups hot water
- In a bowl, dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast in 1 1/4 cup of water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes or until creamy. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, salt and flour together. Create a well in the center of the mixture, then add the yeast and oil mixture. Mix it well and form into a dough.
- Add two or more tablespoons of water if the mixture is dry. Knead the dough for 7 to 8 minutes or until smooth.
- Drizzle a large bowl with a small amount of oil and coat the dough with oil. Let it rise in a warm place while covered with a plastic wrap for about an hour.
- Grease two baking sheets while preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In another large bowl, mix the baking soda with 4 cups hot water. Set it aside and allow it to rise. When risen, take out the dough on a surface sprinkled with flour.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll the pieces and twist them into a pretzel shape. Once done, dip each piece in the water and baking soda solution.
- Place the pretzels on the baking sheets and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until brown.
Serve when ready.
Soft Pretzels with Garlic Parmesan
Making soft pretzels with a garlic Parmesan topping is similar to the recipe above. The only difference is that in this recipe, you’ll be adding new flavor to your traditional buttery soft pretzel. Follow the same steps using the same ingredients but before putting your pretzels in the oven, sprinkle them with garlic and a little parmesan.
Bake them until they’re golden and puffed. You can also brush melted butter over the top of your soft pretzels and sprinkle with more Parmesan.
Soft Pretzels with Cinnamon Sugar Topping
If you’re not a fan of Garlic Parmesan and prefer a sweeter variety of soft pretzels, you can go with cinnamon sugar toppings.
Instead of sprinkling garlic and Parmesan over your pretzels before baking, put the dough straight into the oven without any toppings. When they are golden, remove them from the oven and brush with melted butter. Generously cover each with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Serve while warm.
Soft pretzels are indeed one of the best snacks we’re blessed to enjoy to this day. So, what are you waiting for? Create your own homemade soft pretzels with these easy recipes, or grab some at your favorite shops for the whole family to enjoy!